Friday, Alec and I came home (he from school, me from work) feeling rather puny. We both reported that it started after lunch although, if I think back my own stomach was a bit gurgly all morning. I remember thinking that I felt hungry but it was a different kind of hungry? I asked my co-worker, Ashley, if she felt like pizza. After eating, my stomach seemed to expand before my eyes and by the time I got off work and picked up Coco from school I looked like I was ready to deliver child #5. I was feeling nauseated and had cramping, a sign of things to come.
I was standing in the backyard admiring mine and Alecs hard work from the previous Saturday and trying to get my mind off my woes, when Coco came looking for me to let me know that Alec was in the bathroom driving the porcelain bus....did he eat pizza for lunch too? I knocked on the bathroom door and asked if he was OK, the only response I got was spitting.....you know.....the kind where you're trying to get those dangling mucus strings off your lips that insist on hanging on after you've emptied the contents of your tummy. Ewww! Well that sound was all I needed for my tummy to decide this was a good time to rid itself if IT'S contents. OUCH! It felt like my diaphragm was going to pop out of my stomach. I don't remember puking hurting so much! That was the least of my problems, I also had bad brakes....if you get my drift.
Anyway, the two of us lay writhing on my bed trying to watch tv, taking turns in the bathroom. Our woes continued till about 3 in the morning and then came to a halt.
For those who are interested, 95% of what we refer to as "the stomach flu" is really food poisoning....yes it is! Food poisoning can take up to 8 hours to manifest itself, and mild cases will usually last 12-24 hours, with feeling yucky lingering a bit longer because it takes a lot out of you.....literally and figuratively speaking.
At one point my boy asked who was going to do yard work in the morning. I assured him that we would feel better by Saturday morning......He and I have decided that the backyard would be OUR project, and a huge project it is. It has looked like crapola for some time now. We spent 5 hours on it last Saturday and now it looks like.......well.....let's be honest here.......it still looks like crap but it's a work in progress.
YARD WORK
Saturday dawned and the two of us felt pretty "decent" all things considered, but we lingered a while to make sure, and didn't start on the yard until 9:00am. It was getting a little warm by then. What a couple of bags! Neither of us had much energy to work on the yard but we persevered. We had a goal to get the east side of the yard cleaned up. I give my boy credit for sticking it out and sticking to our goal. We both worked in slow motion, our energy level was close to nil, we looked for, and took every opportunity to take a break. Two hours was about all we lasted but we reached our goal.
I was spent, all I wanted to do was climb back in bed and sleep.......but can I tell you........yard work is dirty work.........especially when what you are mowing and raking is mostly dirt with a few patches of grass here and there. The dust mixed with sweat is not conducive to climbing into a soft bed.
I drug myself into the shower....again...in slow motion...I swear it took me twice as long, I just didn't have the energy. What kept me going was knowing that when I got out I could climb in my bed....wet hair and all....and sleep. Some of the best laid plans never come to pass. I no sooner was out and dressed when the phone rang and Coco needed a ride home from a YCL function. I considered for a moment having Alec go get her as she was just around the corner......yes, I know....... he's only 14....... but he's a good driver...... already......really!......and let's not forget that I said FOR A MOMENT.
I walked like the hunchback out to my car....eyes barely opened.....to pick her up only to find that I needed to take a friend of hers home as well who doesn't live all that close......will I ever find the comfort of my bed!?! I did! About 30 minutes later only to dream of dust storms and tornadoes....sheesh.
Later that evening, and because I hadn't really eaten anything of substance all day, I was starving, Mexican food sounded really good....not particularly the best choice after having tummy trouble, but I figured what have I got to lose? I love love LOVE Mexican food and if I throw it up later (or the bad brakes come back) even better! A no guilt meal...now what woman doesn't want that?
For the record, it all stayed put.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
You guys are probably the 5 & 6th peson with "food poison" this week. Thanks for the details, just love that visual..
You have more then a backyard, you have a park...
Take a nap & get some rest...
I have to give you an A for your descriptive writing. Almost to descriptive thank you very much. Glad you're both feeling better.
Kim...LOL! You have such a way of putting things! Glad you are feeling better! It was so good to see you at the reception, thanks so much for coming, I miss you tons and hope to be better at keeping in touch!
Post a Comment