Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Spondylolysis

spawn-dee-low-lye-sis - What a stupid name! It is a unilateral or bilateral defect (separation) in the vertebral pars interarticularis, usually in the lower lumbar vertebrae, particularly L5.

All this means to me is that my boy cannot play football.....ever. He was diagnosed with it yesterday. He's been having some problems with his back that I've ignored because what 14 year old has back problems that don't resolve on their own?!? Apparently mine, he is so disappointed, he has looked forward to playing football for Taylor for a long time.

Unfortunately it's a life long problem that will rear it's ugly head at times when he does physical things that hyperextend his lower back......like being a lineman on the football team. Right now his L5 is actually fractured.....he walks and moves like an old man....poor guy. It will require becoming friendly with an orthopedist and physical therapist to get him through times like now when it's irritated. Bummer! I guess the Steelers will have to look elsewhere for their next big star.

7 comments:

Shabwan said...

Poor Poor Alec!!! Looking for open windows...looking...looking...hmmm. I'm sure they'll be there! Hey-Heidi knows a physical therapist! He can be a puter geek! Not a gamer...but rather a internal-what makes them work kind of guy? I'll be looking for those open windows!

Brittanie said...

What a bummer. I'm sorry!

Ball Family said...

Ouch! That's too bad. Can he still play flag football? Well obviously not until it heals, but maybe later?

Bren's Life said...

What a bummer! I had no idea what the heck you were talking about. I didn't know if you were talking about someones mouth at work or what???
Jim Sandberg is an awesome Myropractor (if that's how you spell it) He could help

Bren's Life said...

Man ever since I saw your kitty that's all I've been thinking about. Well I want a puppy too & just can't get it out of my head. But my girls would love a kitten, but I just don't want a litter box in my house...
Put pictures of both kittens. Now their probably out of the cute stage & that's when I like them!!!

Heidi Ann said...

Poor dude. Maybe he could be on the chess team or speech and debate. And I like in your header picture how everybody matches, Easter maybe?

TF said...

Hey....don't know if it would make a difference, but I know an awesome Chiropractor that has worked miracles with people I know with back problems. Let me know if you want his info. He truly is amazing. (I go to him myself!)