Monica was my parents first child to be born…but also the first to die. She died on January 3rd, 1997 of lung cancer. She was 37 ½. Today she would be 49. The last year in her forties. She would probably do something crazy like run down the street in last nights rain, trip and fall, trash her leg (she did all this once) and then have a fit over the need for first aid. Her daughter Brittanie gave a wonderful tribute to her several Christmases ago and if you want take a minute and go here and read about her from her daughters perspective (warning-get a kleenex) http://nbakbeautifullife.blogspot.com/2006/12/that-holiday-feeling-for-some-reason_15.html#links
Oldest of 4 girls and two boys. She was an energetic, full of spunk, kind of kid. To me she was the one with the boyfriends. The one that lived to be social. She loved to dance. She loved to sing. She loved the young women in her ward. But most of all…she loved her man and her children! She thought her kids were the only kids that were in the room. She would sew and sew and make all kinds of things for her babies. She loved to be crafty. She would make stuff to sell and make extra money for Christmas. She saved and saved so she could buy herself a ticket to see Phantom of the Opera. She would start to tell you a funny story-usually about Stan and before she would get to the end she would be laughing so hard you couldn’t understand what she was saying…but you would be laughing equally as hard because she had a way of getting you involved in the story. She would tell equally funny stories on herself as well. One thing is for sure, where ever she was, that is where the laughter was.
As an adult Monica had numerous friends. In fact everyone she met-she considered a friend, whether they were 20 or 82-age didn't matter. She didn't waste time on others shortcomings, life was to short for that, she just loved people and they loved her back. If you were her friend you were her friend for life. Her funeral was standing room only at the stake center. I think every person she had ever known from grade school on up, was there, people we had long forgotten but had somehow learned of her passing and wanted to be there because she had touched their life in some way.
I think of Monica often, but today I think of her especially. I wonder what she would think of her daughters? I wonder what she would think of her only son-Joseph? I wonder what she would think of her grandbabies? And then I know!!! She would be amazed at the beauty of her girls! She would be thrilled with their life choices. She would remind them they were daughters of God who loves them by how she felt about herself. She would be in awe. And Joseph-she would think...this is Stan in miniature. This kid is so funny and goofy and smart and so reminds me of why I married his dad!
But....we cannot just give a sentence in a paragraph to what she would think of her grandbabies!!! She would eat them alive! She would start talking in their voices-like she did when her kids were little people! She would be sewing them dresses, making them things for their rooms, she would be spending her summers with them-nothing stopped her from going on a road trip. She would load up whoever was going in the car that was functioning the best and off they would go.
Oh there are many stories of Monica, and really you can't post about some one and give them justice in just a few short paragraphs...but this I know. She was my older sister, my friend, my confidante, my favorite comedian, life of the party, my teacher by example. Thinking of her does not bring sadness, only the fondest of memories, I love her and I miss her!
Happy Birthday Sis!
(A thank you goes out to my sister, Shaunna, for helping me with this post and providing the pictures)
This picture was taken just before all of her hair fell our from Chemo.

Thanksgiving Day 1996, it would be our last with her.....sniff

Her kids at her funeral

9 comments:
Sounds like she is a wonderful woman. Thanks so much for sharing your love and memories.
She sounds like the kind of person who lived a lifetime in her few short years here on this earth. How blessed you are to have her as your sister and how blessed she is to have you. Thanks for sharing her with us.
Thank you Aunt Kimmie. I love hearing memories of my mom. Of course I'm sitting here bawling but I'm okay with that. =) Love you.
Ahh Sisters! A fitting tribute. Don't thank me...just write nice things about me too when I'm gone!
Kim what a beautiful post! She sounds like someone I hope to be one day...quite an amazing woman, as are you, must run in the family!
What a Wonderful tribute! I remember you talking about her. We were in the ward back then, but didn't know her. I am sorry I missed her funeral. She sounds like she was Amazing!
what a wonderful tribute. thanks for sharing her with those of us that never got to meet her.
post partum women should not read things like this! i am such a baby. thanks for sharing, kim! i hope all is well1
Thank you for sharing. Monica was/is a big part of my life. She taught me so many things and I think helped me be a better person. I talk about her always to my family, my young women and my friends. What a great example of what to be. I miss her so much and wish I could still hang out with her and watch her and Darryl laugh. What a Gal!
Post a Comment