Saturday, November 22, 2008

Liar, Liar

In the early morning while I'm getting ready for work I do a lot of thinking. It's my quiet time of the day when I'm left with only my thoughts for company. It's a time where I resolve issues. I think about work, my family, upcoming events and such. This past Thursday I don't know where my thoughts were but a quote from Oliver Wendall Holmes popped into my head.

"Sin has many tools, and a lie is the handle that fits them all."

I pondered why this randomly found it's way into my morning musings. I started to do a self evaluation. Have I been dishonest in my dealings? I don't think I have. I absolutely hate to be lied to or about and as a result I do my best to represent myself honestly. I would much rather admit to something I've done than to have people not trust me, so I strive daily to be honest in my work, in my play and most importantly in my relationships. I think I do a pretty good job but there is ALWAYS room for improvment...hence the word strive.

I'm not talking about the little white lies we tell like when someone calls early in the morning and asks if they woke you and you say no......because heaven forbid they should think you were....the horror! My sis in law, Melanie, is the only person I've ever known to admit to me waking her up. No, those aren't the lies I'm talking about, I'm talking about the big kahunas, the kind that hurt, the kind that undermine the very foundation of any relationship, be they work, family, or aquaintance.

Why DO we lie? Why would we not want people to trust us? Maybe we think they won't find out the truth. Truth ALWAYS prevails! Maybe not today, maybe not tomorrow, but eventually. Lying may make us look good at the moment, or keep us out of hot water for a time, but how will we look when the truth is uncovered? I'd rather look bad for telling the truth than look good, for a time, by lying, and then look REALLY bad when the truth is uncoverd.

What is my character worth to me? Is there anything worth selling it out for? Saving face....no, overpayment from a cashier....no, an A on a final exam....no, a few extra bucks on my paycheck...no, making someone look bad.....NEVER. My list could go on but when it comes right down to it there is nothing worth selling out for. I hope NEVER in my life for a lie to roll off my tongue easier than the truth.

.......and then I got to work and my thoughts turned to the business of the day but not before another quote popped into my head, from whom I know not.

"If you have integrity nothing else matters,
If you don't have integrity nothing else matters."

2 comments:

Bren's Life said...

This is Awesome Kim.. I think I am going to use some of your thoughts with my son. I completly agree with you!

Shabwan said...

WOW!! That's some deep thinking! Usually deep thinking just gets me in trouble...or makes me mad! Hope all is well!