Saturday, January 10, 2009

Here For A Moment, Perfect Forever

Jersey Girl



What a sweet special experience it was to attend the funeral service for Jersey. An hour before the service was a viewing for family. I hugged Chris and Heidi. I had things I wanted to say to each of them but couldn't for the lump in my throat. I just hugged them for longer than normal. Next to them was the smallest casket I ever hope to see and what a casket it was! Furry pink with sparkles, not showy by any means but very fitting for the tiny princess that lay inside.



Standing watch was her big sister, Tatum. I crouched down and hugged her, her first words to me were "look at her hair, it's so soft...touch it" I did as I was told, we all loved that dark monkey hair, when dry, stood straight up from the time she was born. We all marveled and wondered where it came from. Next Tater said "her cheeks are ice cold, feel them" Again, I did as I was told, I knew they would be and it didn't bother me. I rubbed that sweet cheek and cried, so sad for my niece’s broken heart and what might have been. Tatum stood with her sister for the entire hour of the viewing, telling everyone about her sister, having them feel her hair, touch her, kiss her cheek, and showing them the matching bracelets that she, Heidi, and Jersey all wore.



During the service Chris spoke and told us about the past 6 weeks, how their perfect princess has forever changed their lives for the better, and that special, sacred moment when they handed her back to God. For all his sadness he did an amazing job. I couldn't believe how composed both he and Heidi were throughout the day.



It was a sad day but also a day filled with joy. We know Jersey has returned back to the presence of a loving Father in Heaven, too perfect and pure to endure the sorrows of this world, her mission here was complete. In her short 41 days she taught us what is most important....family. Things of the world come and go and make us happy perhaps for a moment, but families are forever and deserve nothing less than our very best effort. She fought a good fight and won.

3 comments:

Bren's Life said...

That is so sweet & precious of your little niece.. I am so sorry for your nieces loss.

Unknown said...

I read the parents post about losing her and my heart broke for each of them. How grateful I am at times like this for the Gospel. It gives hope where otherwise there would not be any. They will be in my prayers.

5 Frogs and a Princess said...

What a sweet little princess! Truer words were never spoken...families are the most important and deserve our best effort. Makes me not take my days of dishes, cleaning, breaking up fights between little boys, and all the other things I should appreciate for granted!